Become a Murabbi or Build your own Tarbiyyah Program
It started off as fatherhood, turned into youth coaching and mentorship, then turned into Islamic inspired community leadership, then to tarbiyyah for young Muslims, to volunteerism, adventure, life-long friendship, brotherhood …
Zombies are everywhere. We didn’t need biological viruses or parasites to infect the population’s minds. and break down willpower. But the disease is still a manmade product that eats away the mind over a period of a decade. This article discusses how schools are designed to sucks out passion, obliterates ingenuity, and eliminates willpower. The question we need to ask is whether we are operating our Islamic education and halaqas under the same paradigm.
You could imagine the leaders of our history being trained by Murabbis – a select group of trainers, mentors, coaches and guides who develop young leaders through their experience, deep insight, and extensive multi-dimensional knowledge. A khaleefa’s son would have a murabbi as a daily companion, teaching him not just education and but through extensive life experience.
Murrabi encourages realistic and practical values that he gained through experience of a life time of living and helping others live those values. Murabbi is someone who has tested out and lived values and strategies and built a library of references as to what works and what does not. They walk the talk, and they demonstrate results.
Build a program that endeavours to inspire through stories of our heroes without becoming bewitched and hypnotized, isolate understanding of principles, encourage deep insight, and ultimately motivate initiation, commitment, creativity, co-creation, and movements.
Today, leadership (in organizations, business, marketing) has developed through study and synthesis of military strategies. Amazingly, in our tradition, our predecessors intrinsically built leadership into the tarbiyyah (development) process. The children of our sahabah and the earlier generations were taught strategy and leadership just like they were taught Quran through studies and reflection on the Seerah of Rasoolullah and the battles in the time of Rightly Guided Khulafa.
The term “leadership” is no longer limited to those who work in the field of management; rather it has now become an essential characteristic to have regardless of what field an individual works in. With disruption and constant change in the economy and society, leadership has become essential at all levels. Having this character is not just essential for those who wish to grow and succeed, but for those who need to navigate and negotiate difficult situations.
Leadership skill becomes necessary for marketing one’s resume, to communicating in an interview, to negotiating a salary, to seeking a better and more lucrative opportunities, but then beyond the professional world to bravery in standing oneself and one’s belief, to standing up for the orphans and the miskeen, to building communities and enhancing public policy.
The first of the great thinkers that originated the concept of “Momentum” in classical mechanics was Ibn Sina (Avincenna) during the Islamic Renaissance. Momentum is force or speed of movement. This isn’t really about classical mechanics. “Momintum” is about building massive unstoppable acceleration towards successful spiritual, personal, social and entrepreneurial movements.
Grounded in Islamic principles and inspired by Islamic history, Momintum aims to inspire and motivate deep and multi-dimensional Islamic thought and motivate practical and pragmatic implementation of creative minds to serve Allah, earn Jannah, and serve the Muslim community and ummah.
Empower your students instead of just presenting information to them:
Develop discipline and character before teaching content.
- Passion first! Imparting passion so we love for Allah and His messenger, love for practicing Quran and Sunnah, love for the deen, love for helping humanity, love for learning and development, love for initiating and solving problems …
- Passionate people enhance the civilization through their own projects, political movements, profitable businesses, community and economic solutions, lessons and classes, artistic expressions … expression through the arts.
- Bravery: to stand against injustice, to question the status quo, to defend Allah and His deen, to protect rights of humanity; to navigate through disruptions, to explore what the better choices might be, to make decisions, bravery to initiate, to apply willpower, to persist in face of skeptical authority. With bravery a person becomes critical, committed, creative, connected, and compelled …
- Responsibility: to make choices despite the societal trends, to explore what is right, to become self-directed, self-reliant, self-starting, initiative, interdependent, creative, innovative, expressive, and life-long students.
- Analysis over memorization: we believe learning to connect and analyze knowledge and information is more important than collecting the knowledge without understanding and little application. We hope to develop the ability to explore the Quranic themes, objectives, and develop a framework and modusoperandi through contemplation, study, and comparison (rather than mere memorization). If we teach passion, ethics, and inquisitiveness, they will seek out the data and info.
- Hacking: eager experimentation to discover something new – the willing to roll up the sleeves to figure things out.
- Forward leaning posture requires decision-making skill, pressure of responsibility and bravery to move forward. Bad decisions aren’t a product of lack of access to information, but inability to navigate through the data, synthesize complex data, and inventing new ideas and concepts through data.
- Learning to navigate through the rapidly changing world: building confidence to tackle and ability to address complex problems, practical application of theories, and launching long lasting movements. Our aim is to build a mindset that has an entrepreneurial spirit, critical, committed, creative, connected, and compelled in nature.
- Leadership involves initiative in the connected world with an unclear map: Instead of trivia, focus on understanding the sweep of history, being able to visualize the repeating cycles of conquest and failure and having an innate understanding of underlying operation of the world. Instead of teaching facts, focus on caring, goal setting, engaging, speaking intelligently, planning, making good decisions, and leading.
- Extensive reading and reflection: for those who are serious, reading is a opens doors for growth and reflection allows organization of thought and expression of ideas.
Tarbiyyah isn’t about simple education. Desire action, massive action to be precise. While the empowering should build leadership personality, help students unleash personal and social revolutions by putting forward an unstoppable energy to give back to the themselves, family, community, society at large, and the ummah.
Our vision is to the develop leaders that serve humanity by solving human problems based on prophetic values from Quran, Sunnah and Seerah of Rasoolullah. Everyone is a shepherd; the purpose of the vision is to empower everyone to take leadership in the process of building a strong community regardless of their positions.
Spiritual development: To build a strong relationship with our Creator, to love Him and His messenger so that we may attain His love conduct all of our actions in alignment with the requirements of Allah so that we seek assistance in Him, seek refuge in Him, and call Him in our supplication for all of our needs.
Psycho-emotional development: To build a foundation of strong akhlaaq – unyielding in their standard – so to face any situation at any time with strength and resolve. This development is further about building a higher aspiration, where students are inspired and motivated by great leaders, without succumbing to the influences of the weak.
Financial development: Just like Rasoolullah took responsibility at the age of 8 by becoming a shepherd the objective here is to build a sound knowledge base in finances and to develop strength in that field so that our future leaders are of those who take responsibility and in that responsibility is the social responsibility of giving charity.
Social development: to spread salam and feed the people. To listen, understand, and empathize others to help them and influence them in the best possible manners. To inspire youth to create a society that is ethically and culturally coordinated.
Professional development: to inspire students to calibrate their dreams. To assist the youth to plot, decide and develop a precise direction in their lives. With a clear direction, motivation in the education part becomes easy, and hard work becomes a standard. Brave artists (leaders) passionate about their causes are willing to go through discomfort to accomplish something great.
Familial development: Isolating and inspiring a strong family life and to use family as moral support and reliance, all the while serving and returning back to the family. Our parents, siblings and family members have their rights. Our mother is so honourable that anyone that is associated with her is also honourable.
Excellence in ingenuity: Indeed, Allah has prescribed excellence in everything, and we should strive and help our young leaders to strive to be of the muhsineen. We hope to take excellence beyond mere consideration to ingenious thinking to coordinated actions.
Physical development: Just like Salman Al-Farsi said to his brother, “your body has a right on you,” the objective here is to give our body rights by making it strong.
Rasoolullah (peace and blessings be upon him) has said, in a hadeeth preserved in Saheeh Muslim, “The strong believer is better and more beloved to Allaah than the weak believer, while there is good in both.”
Accelerated & Deep
Practical & Pragmatic: We cover content that are immediately applicable to the student in their daily lives. Each week students gain unique principles for religion, character, and strategy that it is applicable to them in the daily lives.
Inspirational learning through stories, narratives, illustrations, and practical examples to set up an attitude of success and pragmatism. Students remember stories and anecdotes and will be remember principles through those stories.
Instigating deep understanding through multi-sensory coverage that employs various intelligence; visual, auditory, tactile, dialogue, & mobility. There is reading, speaking, discussion, debating, arguing, writing, drawing, and even physical mobility for character integration and co-creation.
Participative & developmental: Under guidance of our coaches and mentors, students will learn to research; present & share; contribute & participate with dialogue, discussions, and debates; and even apply with case studies & practicums.
All of this and more, with help of Allah and your du’as. Insha’Allah.
Build a compelling future
For you, your family, your organizations, your community, the ummah starting with the future of the hereafter.